Topic: An argument for boring monsters

Ok, ok, BEFORE you  start throwing rotten fruits and vegetables hear me out.  Then you can pelt me with last weeks produce.
So a good run was made at getting a monster's manual for LotFP in the crowd funding, and evenone is stoked to at least get almost 50 monsters ready to torment players with.  Great.  I am new to LotFP.  I've played lots of other RPGs over the past decades and I really fell in love with the concept of making up fresh new monsters that can't just be cataloged and rehashed to keep players on their toes.  But what about when players are not encountering the horrific thing from beyond in the game.  What about the "normal" monsters that fit into the fantasy campaign worlds.  I don't think that these "normal" creatures should clog up the space paid for by backers for the new referee book, but in rules and magic There are elves and dwarfs etc.  So as banal as it would be - doesn't it make sense to include at least a list/table of some wild life or some of the normal trope monsters (orcs, goblins, skeletons etc.) for the benefit of people who either new to the rule system  or LotFP might be their first exposure to RPGs (especially game mastering).

Re: An argument for boring monsters

hunggokyan wrote:

But what about when players are not encountering the horrific thing from beyond in the game..

That's what humans and animals are for.

Doesn't it make sense then to have a list of animals then in the bestiary section then?  It would provide a good foil for the abnormal to be able to be compared to the normal.

hunggokyan wrote:

Doesn't it make sense then to have a list of animals then in the bestiary section then?  It would provide a good foil for the abnormal to be able to be compared to the normal.

Already planned.

i think hansel and gretel was the most boring