Topic: Crossbows?

Is there any reason Crossbows give a penalty to the target's AC, whereas all other weapons that modify the chance give a bonus to attack?  Well, to be accurate it says "ignores AC", which I assume means lowers it.

Re: Crossbows?

It ignores the indicated amount of AC due to armor, not Dex bonuses or range or what have you.

It's done that way so crossbows work with the (as yet unpublished) gun rules...

Isn't that the same thing as the polearm that gets "+1 bonus to hit opponents with an unadjusted AC of 16 or better"?  Why the difference of terminology?

Last edited by islan (2011-08-20 16:14:43)

It's not the same though. The polearm only gets a bonus verses chain and plate armour, whereas the crossbow tears through leather and removes it's AC protection. I assume this represents how polearms are particularly good at punching through metal armour.

But that's not the point:  I'm not saying the /numbers/ are the same, I'm saying that the /effect/ is the same, which is getting a bonus against an AC equal to or over a certain number.

While the effect is the same, my issue is that the method of effect is different in both cases: +1 to attack for Polearm and Rapier, whereas its -2/-4 to AC for crossbow.  It's a rather inconsistent methodology.

In order to make it more consistent, you'd need to say

Last edited by islan (2011-08-20 16:18:15)

Did the forum just cut off half my post?  o_O

islan wrote:

Did the forum just cut off half my post?  o_O

It's done that to me as well, I had to go back in the broweser, copy it and edit my post

That's OK. I saw enough to realize what you are getting at and you are correct. It is inconsistent.

I think the expression of the polearm bonus is consistent with the way the rapier is penalized against the same kinds of armour. The crossbow rules were probably written separately from the other two rules and he didn't think about the similarities when he put them all in the book. It would make more sense to match up the bonus descriptions the way you describe.

Reviving an old thread.  I'm mainly trying to clarify that Crossbows get the -2 AC vs. unarmored people.  I can see both sides:

1) No, b/c basically the dart punctures armor and isn't going to do much more damage whether it's going through armor or unarmored flesh.  You're getting a dart no matter what.  So the penalty just means armor isn't as effective, but it's still going up against a minimum of 12 b/c that's an unarmored human.

2) Yes, it always lowers the target's AC by 2 no matter what armor, if any, they're wearing.

So basically, does it lower an unarmored human's AC to 10 when attacking with it?

It's armor cancellation, so if there's no (or insufficient) armor, the cancellation doesn't happen.

So Joffrey does not get bonus for shooting unarmored peasants.

Last edited by MutieMoe (2014-02-07 09:22:38)