Topic: God that Crawls questions

Hook/Opening.  It says in the beginning that the characters only need to know about the church and the door on the hillside.  Maybe I'm not reading closely enough but is the door itself obvious?  Did other people use the book as a hook? Seems like it would be calling out to itself via other pieces.  My players are all 100% new to the game with brand new characters.

Also, it's been awhile since I played this type of RPG.  The god moves 30' is that per TURN or per round?

I'm afraid they are going to defenestrate the priest and burn the church before they even get down into the pit (just because it's there--catholics in England and all that).  Is there anything for it but a swarm of 0-level dudes from the village piling in to kill/capture the characters? Nothing at all wrong with that.

Re: God that Crawls questions

One of my players was a "Seller of religious books" per the occupation rules that I use.  So he had a rumor of a religious book of great power hidden beneath the catacombs.  The cleric of the party knew that the denomination of the church, while still Christian, was different enough that looting the catacombs would be like claiming the relics.   He knew about the door on the hillside.

All of the players saw the large garrison of troops camped at the small castle, there to protect this local "treasure" (the Church) or, just there for who knows why?

My players made it in and out without ever talking to anybody involved with the church.  In through the doorway, then out through the secret entrance (in the middle of the night, as it happened to be).

Crunk Posby wrote:

All of the players saw the large garrison of troops camped at the small castle, there to protect this local "treasure" (the Church) or, just there for who knows why?

Thanks, I must have missed this part in the write up.  The rest sounds good.  I don't think I'll need much to get them going, but the side door thing through me off a bit.

If I had it to do over, I might have given one of them a rumor about a contact within the church, or some minor motivation to investigate the church.  In my head I thought that was an obvious choice, but when it played out, it seemed like for them the only way in was through the side door (ie, none of them even brought up the idea of entering through the church...)

It would have been more interesting to see a discussion between using the side door, or going in through the church and what they would have done.

Crunk Posby wrote:

If I had it to do over, I might have given one of them a rumor about a contact within the church, or some minor motivation to investigate the church.  In my head I thought that was an obvious choice, but when it played out, it seemed like for them the only way in was through the side door (ie, none of them even brought up the idea of entering through the church...)

It would have been more interesting to see a discussion between using the side door, or going in through the church and what they would have done.

Ah cool. I'll try to have whatever piece of information say "in the church" or "beneath the Church" or even "one of the paintings in the church has a clue to the treasure beneath."

Crunk Posby wrote:

One of my players was a "Seller of religious books" per the occupation rules that I use.

Off topic I know, but please share!

caul wrote:
Crunk Posby wrote:

One of my players was a "Seller of religious books" per the occupation rules that I use.

Off topic I know, but please share!

Here's a link to my blog where I provide a number of additional resources for character creation:

http://thegruenextdoor.blogspot.com/201 … flesh.html

For the above rule specifically, it works like this:  At character creation each player rolls on a list of 100 occupations.  This would have been their career if they hadn't gone into adventuring.  They write the name of this occupation above one of the blank skills on the character sheet.  Throughout the game, they can try and work that skill into helping any other check.

For example, one of the players was a cartboy.  When he was making a daring escape from an inn (and was required to steal a horse) he said, "I worked with a lot of horses when I was younger, I think I can tell which of these will be fastest..."  He rolled a 1, passing his check, and was able to snag the fastest horse.

Also, it provides flavor - the players enjoy rolling on the chart, and referencing their past occupations (and it helps me sneak in extra info like the rumor tidbit above...)

Thanks for the link Crunk. Definitely some good stuff to mine and tweak.