Topic: Ledge battles?

dark souls influenced.  Thinking about how to manage cliff battles that are oh so deadly in dark souls.  Likely it's best that  nothing is specifically codefied in the rules so that people can make up whatever suits them, but I was thinking about some sort of test whenever a player is hit AND whenever a player hits an opponent.  In 13th Age, I would do an appropriate background test, but in Lamentations maybe a save vs paralyze? thoughts? Feelings?

In Dark souls you would be helped in such battles by your character's poise (mostly from super heavy armor) and dexterity as you are able to move around fast enough to get hits at the right angles as to not fall off.

Re: Ledge battles?

I would probably only do a test vs falling on every hit if the ledge was extremely narrow or precarious. For more spacious ledges, I might call for one on an attack roll that came up natural 1 (goes for NPCs too), or as a special pushback attack (attack roll to hit, opposed strength roll to determine if pushed back maybe). For ledges in between those two extremes, maybe hits that do over a certain amount of damage knock you off balance enough to require a test.

As for what the actual test should be, I would lean towards a simple dexterity test I think. Situational modifiers might apply.

Re: Ledge battles?

I'd let someone push their opponent back towards the edge by taking the AC penalty for the Press without getting the bonus to hit since the effect is the movement rather than damage. Depending on position at the start, it would be one hit to get the position set and another to force the opponent off the ledge.

I find you get more consistent results by relating judgement calls to rules that already exist.