Topic: Getting started with LotFP

Hi, guys. New to LOtFP, but not new to RPGs. I read an article on G+ on negadungeons the other day and was intrigued. I bought and read Death Frost Doom today and absolutely loved Mr. Raggi's writing style and aesthetic sensibility. I personally have difficulty creating an atmosphere of horror in my games, but the ideas in DFD seemed perfect to me. I downloaded Better Than Any Man and I am starting to read it, but a cursory inspection reveals similar goodness (or should I say, badness? Horror? Darkness? )
I'm planning on downloading the free rules, though mechanics are not really my interest right now. Adventures with Raggi's sense of Weird horror are. I saw a bundle of pdf's on the store for $130, but I can't swing that much at this time.

So, thats a long intro to a question: what should I buy first? I'd prefer to start with Mr. Raggi's own work, but I'd like some recommendations.

So, if you were to start purchasing LotFP adventures, which would be the first five and in which order? 
Thanks

Re: Getting started with LotFP

I can say from experience that running Better Than Any Man with the free Rules & Magic is great... I was running that (first time OSR referee) for my group a few months ago, and we all had a blast.

I haven't run any of the other modules yet, but here are my top five from just reading through them:

1. Tower of the Stargazer: An interesting location for players to explore and a great way to start a new campaign.

2. The God that Crawls: I really want to throw some players into this sometime. Bunches of weird and dangerous items for the players to mess with... if they can out maneuver the monster in the maze-like dungeon.

3. Quelong: A small hex-crawl map with lots of weird stuff to explore. Once you've run players through Better Than Any Man, the survivors and new characters can be sent off to Quelong.

4. Hammers of the God: One of the first modules I purchased. Thought it is more traditional fantasy rather than Early Modern period, it is just great weirdness and exploration.

5. Weird New World: Because once my players gain enough levels and resources, I want to put something really interesting out there in the vast frozen north and see if they can figure out how to find it. This is a huge hex-crawl type adventure with lots of empty space, and I am looking forward to one day seeing players figure out how to navigate a ship and crew across the expanse of ice and the dangers that lurk amid the mountains and tundra.

But it really depends on what you want the modules to accomplish for you.

If you want small, simple stuff to add wherever needed, then get these: 1) Tales of the Scarecrow, 2) A Single, Small Cut, 3) Lamentations of the Gingerbread Princess.

If you want weird dungeon locations, then get these: 1) God that Crawls, 2) Hammers of the God, 3) Monolith from Beyond Space and Time, 4) Tower of the Stargazer.

If you want hex-crawl maps, then get these: 1) Quelong, 2) Weird New World, 3) Carcosa, 4) Isle of the Unknown.

I would play through some of Better Than Any Man first, then figure out what direction you want to take the campaign (or future campaigns), then buy some modules that fit what you want to do.

The above post is pretty much right on.  I just want to second it, and say specifically:

Better Than Any Man is pure gold, and I think it's the perfect place to start.  I have also run Tower of the Stargazer and The God That Crawls.  Both were hits with my group.

Welcome to a great game!  (And I agree that Raggi's writing and aesthetics are the biggest draw - I heartily recommend the low fantasy/early modern era setting that he uses as it meshes well with his published modules.)

Thanks, guys!

I'm still reading BTAM. It's all good so far. I can't believe this was a free RPG day product. Wow!

And I'm loving the 17th century historical setting. This is pure Solomon Kane. Now I'm picturing The Three Musketeers and Capitan Alatriste meeting the Cthulhu mythos.

And the reading list Raggi recommends in the author's notes is impeccable. There are a few names there that I don't recognize, but I will take immediate steps to rectify that!