Topic: Gingerbread Princess playthrough highlight

I started a campaign with a warning - the game would be grim, dirty, horrific, and most likely with a high death toll.  Players came anyway.  We started off with the "Keep on the Boarderlands".  Next they opted to follow the hook to find some missing hobbits.  Enter Lamentations of a Gingerbread Princess. 

Things went pretty smoothly according to the module.  In the forest they fought some bandits and then encountered the three witches.  The fighter/cleric of the party opted to take them up on the offer to expunge the "horrific" source of his power and replace it with something else.  He went for this hook line and sinker.  Upon finding that he now had arcane spells the player almost had a stroke (doubly so because we were playing AD&D 2nd ed rules he had to cast "find familiar").  Battling the teddy bears he was further frustrated that his mace wasn't doing damage to the boneless little nightmares.  After battling the teddys we called it a night.  Before the next session the player said that his character was unplayable and wanted to retire him AND quit the campaign as it was causing him deep emotional stress.

They ended up getting out of the world by accidentally killing the little girl (testing the wand of rainbows while pointing it at her)

Once we completed the quest other characters decided to take an in game break to think about their life choices.

I would like to note that despite the twisted nature of the module NO CHARACTERS DIED.  Yet it affected the players far more than the 4 character deaths they had previously. 

It is always sad to loose someone at the table, though at the same time it was an artistic win for having something so successfully disturb.

Re: Gingerbread Princess playthrough highlight

"Before the next session the player said that his character was unplayable and wanted to retire him AND quit the campaign as it was causing him deep emotional stress."

this smells like victory to me.

Why? Because he was a now an arcane spellcaster who was ineffective in one fight? Was he no longer a cleric?

He was still a cleric, the only change was his spell list.  Most of the other players thought this was pretty awesome. (You can wear full plate AND cast fireball!) He asked if the process could be reversed.  I told him it was completely possible, though this would have to be done by decisions in game. (Like the wish at the end of the adventure, though I didn't give him the spoiler).