Topic: Referee Core Book

Has there been any specific news about what it will include?

Re: Referee Core Book

I'm guessing the answer is "no" since no one responded.

Hardcover. Same content as old ref book, but with extra content added, professional editing and layout too. 50 monsters from Rafael Chandler. A bunch of commentaries by other authors like Zak S. and Kenneth Hite.
There's more but I can't seem to find it. There might be something in the Crowdfunding forum.

My understanding is that it's going to be different than the original referee book, so both books can coexist in a collection and not be redundant.  I think James said it's sort of an up to date version of his thoughts and how his ideas on running games have changed since the last one.

I believe it will have a variety of charts that use the d30 and the d1000 dice that were included as an add-on.  I'm assuming generators for settlements, NPCs, monsters, etc.

Also, it will have some kick-ass art, including a "comic book" section...

Crunk Posby wrote:

My understanding is that it's going to be different than the original referee book, so both books can coexist in a collection and not be redundant.  I think James said it's sort of an up to date version of his thoughts and how his ideas on running games have changed since the last one.

I believe it will have a variety of charts that use the d30 and the d1000 dice that were included as an add-on.  I'm assuming generators for settlements, NPCs, monsters, etc.

All of that sounds cool.
My source for the "all the old content but updated" comes from the indiegogo campaign, said by James himself. So I think it will make the old one redundant, although it will still obviously cool and valuable as a collector's item.
The indiegogo campaign updates also said there would be a section comparing, giving suggestions and conversions to tie the LotFP rules to other OSR games. The Ref book sounds like quite an item. Now, hoping it gets released soon...

Zoroaster wrote:
Crunk Posby wrote:

All of that sounds cool.
My source for the "all the old content but updated" comes from the indiegogo campaign, said by James himself. So I think it will make the old one redundant, although it will still obviously cool and valuable as a collector's item.
The indiegogo campaign updates also said there would be a section comparing, giving suggestions and conversions to tie the LotFP rules to other OSR games. The Ref book sounds like quite an item. Now, hoping it gets released soon...

I was going off this quote from the Indiegogo Campaign:

"It will also have expanded content. LotFP is a living, growing game and so the advice in the book needs to be updated. But it will not replace the old advice, rather it will be presented alongside the previous advice in the book to highlight the fact that there is no one right way to play the game."

I interpreted it as this book will exist next to the previous book, but I suppose it could also mean reprinting the previous advice in this book and then adding new stuff alongside it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lotf … feree-book

Crunk Posby wrote:

I interpreted it as this book will exist next to the previous book, but I suppose it could also mean reprinting the previous advice in this book and then adding new stuff alongside it.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/lotf … feree-book

I really think that it means the second one, because by not including the old info, it's kind of a slap in the face to people who can't find or afford the old referee book, because it is pretty damn rare. So, short of the old book becoming free or pay what you want electronically, I think that including the old info in the new book is pretty much the only good choice from a customer service, not to mention playability, standpoint.

Any word yet on the release date?

Akco wrote:

Any word yet on the release date?

I believe January 2019. tongue

(In seriousness, I think it's supposed to come out this year, but we don't have any indication of a date - content is still being generated for it, and it would still have to go through editing, layout, etc. - so, later rather than sooner.)

Is there anywhere selling a PDF of the original referee book? All the local shops I've checked here in the UK for a physical product are listed as sold out, and I cant find anything on Drive Thru.

Last edited by Fasckira (2015-01-19 11:23:18)

As far as I know, the PDF of the Referee book was never sold alone, but you could get it by purchasing print copies.  Now that print copies are sold out, I think you'll have to wait until the new edition.  (Unless you are able to find a Grindhouse boxed set somewhere - then you can e-mail James with proof of purchase and he'll provide the PDFs.)

Ahh ok, cheers! I shall bide my time then.

I seem to recall seeing a mention that this was supposed to be published in Feb. of this year but I have not seen anything since.

Does anyone have any new info or rumors about when this might be in retail stores?

I think Cursed Chateau and England Upturn'd are the next two books (well, and Slugs for Free RPG Day).  There hasn't been any recent mention of a release date for the Referee Book.

Monster portion (and that's going to be a 250+ page book) this year (production stuff willing in the fall...), the rest next year.