Topic: Mapping to the real world

In one of the other posts, it was brought up that it would be interesting to map LotFP adventures to real world locations. This would be an interesting topic for discussion, with the idea that there could be a "Common Ground" fan-made map with all locations indicated.

Is anyone else interested?

Re: Mapping to the real world

Here's a start!

http://goo.gl/maps/r6oPr

Last edited by Lord Inar (2013-08-13 22:54:34)

Lord Inar wrote:

Here's a start!

http://goo.gl/maps/r6oPr

I transferred the map from Better Than Any Man onto grid paper, and have the players entering from the SW.  So the village of Argyle would be about where Altfeld is (SW of Markthiedenfeld).  I've put the Tower of the Stargazer in the large wilderness area east of Argyle (Altfeld), which ends up being SE of Thiedenfeld.

This way, these two adventures are "on the road" to Thiedenfeld, where I plan to have them start (the circus is in town, after all!)

It would be good to know where Weird New World would take place (that's up north, right?)  I have roads going NW from Frammersbach and NE off of Hammelburg.

Should Quelong go SE?  Like from the road leading south from Wurzburg?  Or east from Werneck?  Or there is no road, you have to travel through the wilderness directly SE to get there?

(I'm only counting the boundaries of BTAM as "canon" for these purposes! smile)

I added a probable location for WNW. It is **HUGE**

I can add you as an editor if you like

If I was going to do Weird New World now, I'd use the map of northern North America instead of inventing a map.

Qelong is a Cambodia analog.

Pembrooktonshire is in northern England (and Hammers of the God nearby), Tower of the Stargazer in Scotland I think I mentioned in Death Love Doom.

Grinding Gear would work perfectly somewhere on a road in Better Than Any Man (a reason why the inn is not in use!).

Isle of the Unknown was based on a rotated and flipped Corsica I think, but of course it doesn't work at the given scale (and the flora and fauna are totally different).

Tales of the Scarecrow took place in Wales in my campaign.

Monolith can be anywhere.

Carcosa of course is a different planet.

Cool! I wasn't too far off in my guesses for WNW and Pembrooktonshire. I had put Hammers in Norway, but I can easily move it.
Right now Monolith is in the middle of the ocean (kudos to those who can guess the exact location on the map!)

Last edited by Lord Inar (2013-08-22 19:57:11)

I am pretty interested. My parents live in St. Mary's county (home of St Mary's city - which was the first city to be founded in Maryland... sometime in the 1630's if I'm not mistaken, fitting right in with LotFP's early-modern era vibe.) There was a lot of native activity going on around the early colonial era and death and strange occurrences were quite common, making it an ideal frontier adventuring location. Plus all of the actual land and history is close by and ready to be treat upon and read about!

I think I can specify a different color for home-brew locations, unless you were thinking that existing adventures would fit best in Maryland.

Hi all, I updated the map with new locations for Grinding Gear, Qelong, God that Crawls, Tales of the Scarecrow, Tower of the Stargazer and Vornheim.

Grinding Gear I put in a slightly different place due to the names. For Tales of the Scarecrow, I went with the old notion that "corn" simply means "grain" and put it in Wales as suggested.

Last edited by Lord Inar (2013-10-23 19:50:43)

Is there a way to "copy" this map so that I can have it for myself but then change some of the adventure locations?  I don't want to change the original that's being worked on here, but I want to use it as the first draft for my own version...  How do I do that?

(My players are talking about trading the Star Crystal for a pirate ship...the game world will get a lot bigger than I had planned if they go that route...)

I think maybe this will tell you how: https://sites.google.com/site/gmapstips … en-my-maps

Why do you have Vornheim in Selcuk Turkey?

With a name like Vornheim I would have figured Germany. Vornheim is a German name after all. Besides, in Germany there is a place called 'Viernheim" next to Wienheim which is south of Frankfurt which is West of Karlstadt. In Frankfurt (or right next to it) is a place called Bornheim which probably sounds the same as Vornheim. Makes sense to put it there if you ask me. If Vornheim is where Bornheim is, one could pass through on the way to Better than Any Man from Amsterdam.

Well, to me, neither The House of the Medusa, nor the Immortal Zoo of Ping Feng seem particularly European to me. The Library of Zarlac may be based on the Library of Alexandria (from the notes), and it just seems a bit too fantastic to be in Germany, particularly compared to the more historically similar Karlstadt from BtAM. Finally, I wanted something to be someplace else other than classic European/British, so I picked an existing city that comes close to matching one of the locations of Ephesus, home to the Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. I know Zak mentions snow being prominent, so if I were to move it, it might be more to some other "exotic" place like Uzbekistan, and pay more attention to placing it with an existing walled city, like Khiva or Samarkand.

...looking at again, somewhere in Spain or Portugal might work as well.