Topic: So what do I really need to play LotFP

Hi

I crowdfunded the Rules and Magic book (2013) and like it very much, but I find that the tone of the game, the Wierd does not come across very strongly except in the Summon spell.

Reading an RNet review of the Grindhouse edition of LotFP I get the impression that a lot of the "feel" of the setting was actually in the two books I do not have: the Tutorial and Referee books.

Does it make sense to buy the Grindhouse Edition? Is it coherent with the R&M I own?. I know that PDFs are available, but I am rather fond of physical books.

Re: So what do I really need to play LotFP

If you love physical books than I do recommend buying the Grindhouse Edition if you are able to find it. The box set is well worth the cover price but I don't know how much it would be for you now.

The "Weird" in Lamentations seems to have been picked up in other games too. Specifically Gygax's Appendix N from the Dungeon Master's Guide

http://www.digital-eel.com/blog/ADnD_reading_list.htm

I also liked Baker's ideas of "cursed" magic items in "Seclusium of Orphone of the Three Visions" where many magical items are tools for specific needs and the curse comes from ignorance of the object's intended purpose rather than a sadistic wizard with too much time and experience points on her hands.

Which leads me to also recommend Seclusium as inspiration for weird. But do take a moment to seek out the reviews before buying that book merely on my recommendation as there are some who took issues with some of the things that I liked about it.

Raggi's published adventures are also good indicators for adding weird into games. Better Than Any Man (Free RPG Day 2013) and The God That Crawls are two examples of looking at the world's timeline and then adding something alien (wonderful, horrific, awful, amazing, otherworldly) and going from there.

My thoughts on Lamentations and by extension Fantasy is that most Fantasy stories are horror stories but with hope still shining a light.

You could also just wait a bit and pick up the new Referee book when it's out.  I think, judging by what I've seen so far, the weird will really come out in that.

I agree that the published adventures also capture the feeling well.  Better Than Any Man is wonderful (and free!) but is available only in PDF.  If you only want to go for print, start with: The God That Crawls and the Monolith from Beyond Space and Time.

Scenic Dunnsmouth is also probably a good bet (but I can't say for sure as I'm waiting for my ref book to come in so I can get everything new all at once...)

Scenic Dunnsmouth is great!

I also highly recommend Hammers of the God. Fantastic module for putting a whole hell of a LOT of campaign world backstory into the players hands, and also comes with a healthy dose of wierdness. It is all about the dwarves, though. But you could easily re-write them as a human cult civilisation or something.