Topic: Weird Fantasy Megadungeon

Has anyone tried to use the 'Weird Fantasy' in a megadungeon setting?

On it's face, the premise seems dubious.  Megadungeons are traditionally like monster zoos and funhouses.  Level one has the goblins and the kobolds, level two has the hobgoblins and the orcs, level three has the bugbears, and so on.  (And all the other funny men dressed up in their humanoid suits).

On top of that, megadungeons are big.  Full of lots of monsters.

Seems to run counter the weird fantasy advice that monsters should be rare, weird and kind of unique.

Or does it?  Has anyone started sketching out plans for a Weird Fantasy inspired megadungeon?

Back in a bit and I'll post what I got so far...

Re: Weird Fantasy Megadungeon

I recently added a megadungeon to my campaign but it isn't in the campaign world itself.  It is in the plane of limbo.  It is an abandoned city of a species that had created a number of portals throughout the multiverse to various planets and places of power.  Actually, abandoned isn't the right word.  The beings that built it were wiped out in a genocide perpetrated by their slaves. They travelled the planes taking slaves and gold and magic items and then retreated back through their portals when the going got rough.  They were more or less Melnibonians.  The slaves eventually revolted and wiped out their masters entire race.  They collected all the loot and magic items and piled it in the central square of the city.  Since it had been collected  constantly for centuries there was a lot of it and it would take years to carry it all out.  The slaves packed up as much loot as they could carry and left using the various portals into the prime material plane their masters had used to get resources and wealth. Because the masters were no longer maintaining the city, it started to become dangerous to travel within its halls.  Limbo being a sort of primordial soup of chaos is constantly changing unless some being controls a space and uses some means to maintain its solidity (Zelazny's Chaos from the Amber books) Because of the concentration and magnitude of the magic that had held the city together in the swirling chaos of limbo, the city is degrading but at a very slow rate.  Certain parts of the city change randomly as you move through them.  Go down a passage and the passage changes as soon as you step out of it.  Other parts have creatures from the prime material plane that have accidentally come across one of the portals the ancients made and were sucked into Limbo.  A few planar travelers  have become aware of the place and occasionally come into it to dip into that big pile of loot.  The effect of the chaos in limbo causes the occasional wanderer to be horribly mutated or for strange chaos creatures to simply be spawned out of the primordial power of Limbo.  (This is a good place to use the random esoteric creature generator).   There are a number of functional portals that lead to many worlds in the prime material plane so some very powerful mortals use it as a way to get to and from the outer planes or on business between worlds of the prime material plane.   Because of the chaos element I can use it make up any kind of crazy shit I want and it is internally consistent.

The characters were informed of the place because they needed to get someplace on an errand for someone else.  They needed to use a portal in the city and had to travel to it using a map they were given that was some what incomplete.  They are a bit cowed by the joint though because they aren't sure they want to be messing around in Limbo.

The city in At the Mountains of Madness looks like a good template for a Weird megadungeon to me.

But Moria still works too. Dwarfs got greedy and went too deep, unleashing that which neither man nor dwarf was meant to know. The only thing that makes Middle-Earth not very Weird as such is the whole Good vs Evil thing. Sauron as a Lovecraftian entity could work if it didn't care about, or was oblivious to, the movements and machinations of the races that walked the earth. I think the concept of the Eye of Sauron becomes even more terrifying if you don't know, could never know, what it was looking for. Take away all motivations of Sauron and it's just this destructive *thing*. You can treat the balrog the same way.

And who wouldn't want the Colour Out of Space to descend upon the Shire?

(not that Lovecraft's ideas are a Weird monopoly, nor Tolkien a monopoly on straight fantasy, but I've just got them on the brain and they are the common touchstones and the concepts would be more easily communicated than, say, suggesting that one mix Poe and Anne McCaffrey... certainly the various beasties of Middle-Earth like Shelob and the tree in the old forest can fit a Lovecraftian vibe, it's just things like Gandalf, the ents and, as always, Bombadil that go against the idea)

Elrond as an elfy Ephraim Waite, except he just happens to have goals in common with you, seems fun too. big_smile

I'm with you on using At the Mountains of Madness as the inspiration; it looks like it'll be something called 'The Black City' or 'The Lost City of the Hyperboreans'.  I loved 'Beyond the Mountains of Madness', the Chaosium follow up to the Lovecraft story.  I'm picturing a sprawling ruined city (similar in concept to the old adventure module 'Dwellers of the Forbidden City' - that introduced the Yuan-Ti) except placed in the frozen north, with huge dungeons beneath the city.

It'll be a sprawling ruin of basalt buildings and strange, cyclopean architecture.  The ancient Hyperboreans were a prehistoric race of decadent men, the first users of magic. The ruins will have elements of weird science and alien magic. Perhaps the city was built in a time before the world shifted on its axis, rotating the land into the arctic circle.  The dungeons would get warmer the deeper you go, lingering effects of Hyperborean technology.  The dungeons themselves will be the ancient laboratories and halls where the Hyperborean scientist-wizards perfected their arts; there will be no lack of strangeness down there.

Anyway, I need the monsters to be stranger and more alien than a traditional D&D game.  No standard humanoids, for instance.  But at the same time, megadungeons are usually a mix of things:  populations of resident monsters/inhabitants; set piece encounters and fantastic destinations; wandering monsters; bosses and memorable encounters.

I'm thinking repeated encounters with the 'regular inhabitants' will make them seem a bit more mundane (even if they are cannibal humans or atavistic descendants of the Hyperborean's ancient slave races), but those set piece encounters could be truly memorable and horrible.  I think it can work!

Jim,

I think it's cool that you mentioned Anne McCaffrey.  By the time it gets to the Dragonriders series, Threadfall is as routine as El Nino.  It's virtually a strange weather effect.  Can you imagine the horror of the first Threadfall?  I'm sure it was handled in one of the books (I've only read Dragonriders and Harper Hall), but who knows how truly terrifying it was presented.

Can you imagine Thread if it were sentient?  Hmm... Maybe if I need a cataclysmic event for my sandbox.

Sorry for the threadjack.  Back to the original topic.  Weird megadungeons.  I think that one of the things that makes gaming Weird is taking a known trope and turning it on its head.  I'm sure I can come up with an unusual set of denizens and strange events within a megadungeon, but I'm not sure what could make the dungeon ITSELF weird.  Maybe if the megadungeon itself were a living organism (just not an organic one, lest the PCs figure THAT out too early).  Turns out what was thought of as a megadungeon is actually the innards of an ancient behemoth that event the Gods only speak of in whispers.

Dennis Higgins, The Higgipedia.
So mellow, he's probably not REALLY a grognard.

Check out Gaming All Over The Place: http://gamingallover.blogspot.com/

The Shaver Mystery provides a slightly different model.  Imagine an abandoned city of an ancient race, filled with marvels the ancients consider inconsequential toys.  Among these toys are biomechanical servants, split into two factions: Teros whose Asimov circuits are still working, and Deros who have become savage and insane.  Deros occasionally raid the surface for new victims to torture and eat, not always sequentially.  They use telepathic rays to seek out victims to drive insane, for fun.  Sometimes they have dealing with other horrible things from outer space.

Let's also assume Deros have booby-trapped the city, hoping to trap the remaining Teros.  Oh, and it's difficult to tell Teros and Deros apart: some Teros have patched themselves again and again, waiting for the masters to return, and some Deros retain attractive humanoid forms despite the corruption of their minds.  (Because pretty = good and ugly = evil is boring.)

Last edited by fmitchell (2010-12-11 04:30:08)

Frank Mitchell
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread." -- Anatole France

fmitchell wrote:

The Shaver Mystery provides a slightly different model...

Wow, that is an amazing read... thanks for the tip-off.  "The Shaver Mystery".  Huh.  Where truth is stranger than fiction.  Inspirational stuff.

I agree - megadungeon as practiced tends to run counter to the maxim of magic & monsters are rare in wRPGs. My thought is that it stems more from some of the basic presuppositions rather than the rules or the specific scenarios.

Take "B2 Keep on the Borderlands" for example. There's a definite location, but without any binding to a specific location (until Mystara came out, but that's it's own weirdness). Most of the time, it gets run as: rush in, kill monsters, take their stuff. A more classically weird take would be that the party goes to the Keep for a reason completely unrelated to the Caves of Chaos. Something will hook the party to explore and interact with the Caves area - my favorite is that while staying at the Keep overnight, the part cleric/magic-user has a vivid nightmare/goes sleepwalking/has a vision of the Caves... with something of theirs being lost there in the dream that is also missing in the wake-world. I also run the monster tribes as having their own motivations and petty squabbles with the other tribes, to be discovered and used to advantage by the party... if they choose to not run in sword first. The presence & concentration of so many "monsters" is also well handled as treating them as devolved, enchanted, cursed or subhumans, living as outsiders to the civilized lands of Man.

My personal megadungeon du jour is something in the works for Chicago EN World GameDay. Basically, I'm taking a number of modules, scattering them around the Isle of Man circa 1819, stirring with the existing fairy lore of the island and a touch of twisted Arthurian myth as part of the plot-arc glue. I've been scattering clues that the Fae have Something Nasty contained on the island. Combined with the actual history of smuggling and semi-public freemasonry and you get some great story hooks that help explain events as caused by a) the Fae, b) "freemasonic magic" gone awry (or right) or c)pirates using superstition as cover for their activities (aka The Scooby Solution). A background blog/commonplace book/set of APs and rules lives at http://fourtowers.tumblr.com/ . However, it's not using LotFP for anything other than inspiration and a couple of rules basics (notably encumbrance).

Well, except for "The Grinding Gear" being the intro to the campaign and Richrom as an NPC of Note in future events...
Update: AP is up - http://fourtowers.tumblr.com/post/35373 … -xxviii-ap

Last edited by ekb (2011-02-27 19:16:44)