Help me out folks!

Tell what level of party you think is appropriate for the following adventures:

>Better Than Any Man

>The Doom-cave of the Crystal-Headed Children

>Forgive Us

>In Heaven, Everything Is Fine

>Death and Taxes

Re: level of party for the adventure

Forgive Us is suggested for level 4, all others can be for characters of any level.

Yeah a lot of these modules remain lethal at most any level. And any of them that have madness or charming effects (Hammers of the God madness mold), might actually be WORSE at higher levels.. being forced to attack an ally as a 10th level fighter or magic user could get hilarious fast.

The vast majority of LotFP adventures seem to be aimed at a party of first level characters. Any extra levels you bring into the mix is just a bonus. Levels basically give you an edge to survive if things go wrong and, especially if you're a spellcaster, a number of ways to get creative and potentially bypass challenges entirely.

Would be nice to see adventures that are designed for high level play, though I don't know if the system scales meaningfully enough to warrant that.

Crunk Posby wrote:

Forgive Us is suggested for level 4, all others can be for characters of any level.

A review I recently read of Forgive Us suggested that the adventure should be UNDER 4th level... because at lvl 4 magic using characters may have gained powers that could truncate a significant element of the adventure... but the spell they're concerned with (Cure Disease) is listed as a 3rd level spell. Not having read the adventure yet I'm wondering how this spells availability would limit it to only 1st or 2nd level PCs.

Last edited by venusboys3 (2015-03-13 02:15:40)

venusboys3 wrote:
Crunk Posby wrote:

A review I recently read of Forgive Us suggested that the adventure should be UNDER 4th level... because at lvl 4 magic using characters may have gained powers that could truncate a significant element of the adventure... but the spell they're concerned with (Cure Disease) is listed as a 3rd level spell. Not having read the adventure yet I'm wondering how this spells availability would limit it to only 1st or 2nd level PCs.

"Forgive Us is based on the idea of a magical disease causing all sorts of trouble, so it will be more of a challenge if the player-characters don't have ready access to Cure Disease; as such, the adventure is designed for player-characters around fourth level."

I read this as: the challenge of the adventure itself is set at fourth level, while not having Cure Disease will make it even harder.  (Like if there is no Cleric in the group...)  When reading over the situation where Cure Disease is helpful, it doesn't have much impact on the adventure itself, other than players being able to prevent themselves from changing (ie, it doesn't negate the threat of the monsters who have already turned).

Of course, the players have to recognize that what's happening is a disease, too.

Crunk Posby wrote:

I read this as: the challenge of the adventure itself is set at fourth level, while not having Cure Disease will make it even harder.

Yeah, I was all sorts of confused about what I was trying to say... that a 4th level won't have access to 'cure disease'. So the suggested level is going to be that little bit more difficult.

Of course, the players have to recognize that what's happening is a disease, too.

They might likely just run down the list, Dispell Magic, Remove Curse... eventually arriving at cure disease... most of those being 3rd level spells as well.

As others have noted, having cure disease ready to go doesn't negate the other dangers in the adventure but I suspected that it would negate some of the fear generated by the mutant gribbly things, so that's why I set the adventure at fourth level. It's more about mood than mechanics.

"Death and Taxes" was designed as a starting adventure so I wouldn't suggest running it for characters above first level unless you beef up the opposition. "In Heaven, Everything Is Fine" can be for any level as the main challenge is the illusion; that said, more experienced characters will last longer.

Last edited by kelvingreen (2015-03-30 02:50:15)