Topic: Besides the War Hound...

In addition to Michael Moorcock's "The War Hound and All the World's Pain," what would you recommend as good books or movies for giving you the feel for the default setting?

Re: Besides the War Hound...

Have you seen Solomon Kane? A bit over the top, but I did enjoy it.
I do recommend reading the original Solomon Kane stories. You can get all of the stories in one book.
Also the comic adaptations are pretty good as well.

A Field in England (2013 film) is the right time period and gets good reviews.
Day of Wrath (1943 film), Mother Joan of the Angels (1961 film), Witchfinder General (1968 film) and The Devils (1971 film) are all about 17th century witch-hunts which should be appropriate as well.

I've also heard good things about Brotherhood of the Wolf (film), but it's about 100+ years later.

Mind you, I haven't seen most of these, just read descriptions, but they sound pretty good!

Thanks. I did see Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's terriffic

Definitely "A Field in England."  Also, "Valhalla Rising."  Raggi has said that, "As Above, So Below" also gives a LotFP vibe (although it's set in modern times).

I also highly recommend "The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart."  It's about two graverobbing brothers during the middle ages - with a low fantasy feel (it isn't genre fiction, it's "regular fiction.")

Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter... and all those Hammer movies set in rural communities in indeterminate time periods. big_smile

Blood on Satan's Claw as well.

Clavell/Caine/Sharif's 1970 film The Last Valley is also good.